Sunday, March 20, 2011

Race Report: Montvale 10 mile

I started this blog after these events below, so I am back-posting about them, after the date. This is a recollection of the events even if a few weeks later.

The Montvale 5 mile and 10 mile. I ran the 10 mile. Another excellent event from the Mountain Junkies.
Photos used by permission from the Mountain Junkies LLC Facebook page

This was my first time running this race, and the first time running at this park. The Montvale park and it's trails are maintained by Kenny, the same guy who takes care of the trails at Bedford, where the Mountain Junkies host the Trail Nut 10K and Half marathon (May 7th, 2011). What a guy, I must say. He shows up at the races, seems to have good communication with race directors and makes an overall good impression. I remember him from when I ran the Trail nut last summer, and I was sure to approach him and shake his hand to say thank you prior to the race as well. He was there to make sure all went well and assist with parking etc. The work he puts in to the trails is much appreciated. We should be glad Bedford County's parks and recreation recognizes the value in having him there.



So the area of the race headquarters changed location from previous years and since I wasnt there previously, I cant compare, but this year's race headquarters seems to be a work in progress for the park. It was sufficient, but underdeveloped yet it's future seems so promising, I really want to attend next year. The parking lot was gravel, but enough parking for the 150+ runners in attendance. There are cement slabs placed around to serve as the foundation for what is soon to be built there. These will likely be pavilions, picnic shelters and the like.
Montvale Park, This area is still under development.

I had expected the race to be a little less hilly that the previous Explore Park event, but I was mistaken. During the morning's packet pickup I asked Gina Gilbert (Race Director) about how "hilly" the course was and I got the expected answer that It was "rolling", and yes it was. I was hoping for an elevation profile on it, and since there wasnt on on the site or any mention of elevation, I assumed it was flatter than the other Mountain Junkie events. I really wish I had a Garmin Forerunner watch or smartphone so I could obtain this info, not only for my personal knowledge on various runs, but also to help communicate about events such as this.

There wasnt much to say about any specific important climbs, but it was slow and steady. There was definitely hills but I diddnt feel that there was a "big climb" along the course that was hard to run through.

The week had given us much rain previously, so there were areas that were wet and a little muddy but nothing horrible at all. The course changed slightly from the previous year and a short conversation with someone who had run it last year (so I could get an idea of where the start was) I was told that last time they ran through a fairly "boggy" area, but we diddnt run through any such area this time.
And they're off!

During pre-race announcements delivered by Josh Gilbert (Race Director) Runners were advised to not run through the volunteers at the area where the 10 mile runners begin the second loop. This was the first event that I have been in where someone was gong to mark my race number after a certain part of the course was completed. Runners were advised to not run over the volunteers, but that is almost exactly what I did. At the checkpoint, I was not thinking at all, I was just in a daze. One of the volunteers had begun to run after me, but I soon understood and turned around. I think the person in front of me at the moment must have been doing the 5mile or something, because I dont recall seeing them mark her number. It diddnt take but a second and I was back on my way.


At one point in the race, when I found myself catching up with another runner. I made myself stay behind them for a while and match their pace so I wouldnt overdue it. I would qualify this as "running smart" Opportunities like this present themselves in many races and I find that I run a better event by sticking alongside others from time to time while running. At times they help keep me running faster, and at times they help me stay a little slower. it depends on what I feel I need for that race at that time. And plus, when possible, I like the conversation.


I crossed some walkers as I was coming out of the woods and back on the common trail. I had first thought someone may have been an injured runner, but was soon assured things were OK. I know Josh has said something in the past about hoping to have more walkers enter the Mountain Junkies events, so I hope to see more walkers as well.
Me rapidly approaching the finish line.


I felt that I finished strong and was excited to be getting in 10 miles, as it had been a while. My training had taken a set back more than I had desired. Part due to a busy schedule, part due to weather and part due to feeling like I should taper a bit before the Terrapin Mountain half.


The Mountan Junkies always have creative awards for the age group winners.

I enjoyed the post race spread of food! Which the Mountain Junkies are quickly becoming famous for. The ever popular homemade chocolate chip pumpkin bread, Salazon chocolate (which is very good and has a salty surprise), the usual bagels but with peanut butter, and Nutella available too, bananas, local cookies (I think Drew's cookies), trail mix etc.

I'm hoping to enter again next year.
Thank you to the Mountain Junkies and all the volunteers for another great event.
It's good that there is no rule about men running in kilts, cause I saw atleast two, I know.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment