Sunday, March 6, 2011

Race Report: Explore Your Limits 10k

 Explore Your Limits 5k and 10k, put on by Mountain Junkies LLC
 I ran the 10k.
Photos used by permission from the Mountain Junkies LLC FaceBook page



I always love the excitement at the events with the Mountain Junkies. Thank you so much to Josh and Gina... and all the volunteers that made the day possible!

 Prior to this event, I had been running at Explore Park (mile post 115 on the Blue Ridge Parkway) learning the trails and the elevations in the month or two prior. It was almost silly that I had not been out there much before this, cause I've been running the trails around Mill Mountain and the Chestnut Ridge Loop countless times. There are a lot of miles of trails out there and many more miles that can be made outside of the marked trails.

I diddnt know the exact course for the 10K and it wasnt posted with much detail on the Mountain Junkies website, but it wasnt where I had thought it went. The parts of the 10k course that I did run previously, I had been running in the wrong direction. So, being able to anticipate hills or rocky sections etc. was limited. It was almost as good as not having run, but not really. I came to learn during pre-race announcements that the full course isnt "advertised" online because a portion of it is on private property and the Mountain Junkies have access to it on race day only. So, now I understood. As the Mountain Junkies are usually very good at giving info on the course and trails.

The 10k runners started 10 mins before the 5k runners. Once we left the start line, we did a short loop and then ran back through the start line from the opposite direction. This was a GREAT design. As we all ran back through the start line, the 5k runners were there to cheer us on, very nice!

The first half of the 10k loop was the same as the 5k loop. This took us through much of the Explore Park historical areas. See Explore Park is shut down. It was an expensive venture that Roanoke took on. It existed as a sort of living museum of primitive culture. Restored historical structures, a working tavern and grist mill among the buildings to see. The park had a promising future at one time, but it was around 2007-2008 that it closed, leaving only the trails left to enjoy. These trails are "intermediate, twisty, rolling IMBA style single track".

I was pleased with how I ran.
I was pleased with my pace being under 9 min, and I never really that fast on trails. I am pleased with my performance. Glad that I ran every hill with some energy, passing people always feels nice in a race. I've been working on my confidence with long strides on trails and especially on the downhills, and I see how that payed off today. Climbing takes endurance (to keep pressing on), descending takes confidence (to increase stride and speed). I dont recall the elevation of the trail, but toward the end of the 5k mark was the real hill that left everyone talking. it pressed on for what I would guess to be less than a half of a mile, leaving you forgetting what beauty you just saw. But atop the hill was the parking lots, and soon after the finish for the 5k runners, and the split back off into the woods for the 10k runners to take on the Endurance Loop. which twisted and rolled and twisted some more. It may be of the more twisty trails I've been on.

I had brought along with me my sister-in-law, and it was her first trail race, she even beat her PR 5K time from a previous road 5k! nice! And she won a $10 gift cert at Walkabout Outfitter too!

I enjoy seeing all the familiar faces and making friends and just being outdoors. Having my wife and baby there to cheer me on as I pass back through the crowd was priceless, as well as having my son wanting to hug me at the finish despite the sweat and mud and panting breath.


Montvale 10M is next. and I'm keeping my event registrations coming in, in advance. I'm all ready in for the Montvale 10M... and I got the check wrote and envelope sealed to be mailed on Monday for the Mill Mtn Mayhem. Which by the way, for those still reading - that's one heck of a course! in case you havent run it before.

For those not running the next 'Junkies' event, how about volunteering? I'm hoping to volunteer for the Fab 5k in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment