Tuesday, September 6, 2011

IMTR: Iron Mountain Trail Run - 16 mile



Be sure to also read the following race reports:
Cardioholics Anonymous
Explore Fatigue
Race Directors race report

more reports and pics to come. Once they get posted to THIS page.

The IMTR is an event in Damascus, VA. It was held on September 3rd, 2011 with a start time of 7AM. There are 3 different distance options. 16, 30 and 50 mile. The vertical feet that is gained for the 16 mile is around 3500 and the 50 mile has over 8000. I dont know what it was for the 30 mile. This was my second event associated with an ultra. Again it was nice to get to know some of the ultra community, and to run with them. They inspire me, as I would love to run those distances, and I'm slowly and safely working my way to that goal.

The event field is limited to 150 runners. This year there was 62 finished the 16mile, 32 finished the 30 mile, and 25 finished the 50 mile. There was over 10 that DNF the 50, and one for the 30. I'm not sure of the reasons why they DNF (Did Not Finish). The course had time restrictions, the 50 milers had to finish in under 12 hours, the 30 milers had to finish in 10 hours, and the 16 milers  had to finish in 8 hours.
Doing 16 miles in 8 hours, means a pace of 2 miles an hour, and I'm surprised this event doesnt attract more walkers / hikers with an aid station commitment like that for a 16 mile!

How I felt before the race...
I was nervous for a few reasons. A new distance and uncharted territory are things that added as much excitement as it did anxiety. The real thing that made me nervous was some random aches and pains in the week prior to the race.
It all began with a week and a half prior to the IMTR that I ran 13 or 14 miles on Mill Mountain's trails (Roanoke) and it was a good amount of elevation on my route, I had to walk / hike some, which I am OK with, but I expected a stronger performance from myself. I recovered from that surprisingly fast, which was encouraging. The next Saturday, one week from the IMTR, I hiked a part of that previous run with family, it was on Woodthrush trail. 1.8mile up, I pushed a stroller with my 2 year old in it. most of the 1.8 back down I hiked with him in a backpack carrier. I was incredibly sore in the following days. This surprised me and concerned me. The problem wasnt only sore muscles. but more scary was the sore joints. Not only my knees but my hips, and my hands and fingers too. Conversation with another nurse I work with strongly suggested Rheumatoid Arthritis... but I'm only 37! Time will tell.

The good news is that this didnt bother me for the run, and since the run I have felt fine, with very minor joint aches as I had the week prior to the IMTR.

Friday before the race...
I had convinced a fellow Mountain Junkie, Philip Settle to come to Damascus, VA with me and run the 16. We met Friday afternoon and took to the road. Arriving in Damascus at what would be race headquarters to pick up our packets. The race packet was your race number, and shirt, if you chose the shirt option. The entry fee for the race was $20 less if you opted out of a shirt. I like this option, but most often I'll choose the shirt. We had a nice chat with Race Director, Kevin Townsend who was excited for us all and walked through the course map with us.

During this conversation some pretty awesome people started showing up. I felt "graced" by the presence of David Cheromei. David is a resident of Damascus, the 16 mile IMTR record holder, and he tells Kevin that he opted out of the race this year because he is currently training for the Olympics. How nice to see him again. Last year when he set the IMTR 16 mile course record, he was almost a full hour ahead of the second place finisher. Amazing! David also Joined us in Roanoke for the Frozen Toe 10k in January of 2011 for the win.

Also to note, is Pam Rickard and her husband Tom arrived. Pam and I had only met via Facebook previously and I know she is associated with the Crooked Road Running Club and we will share the Crooked Road 24 hour ultra in December. She is amazingly positive and you can easily tell she gives back as much encouragement as she gets too. Someone that seems nice to have around. She would be running her first 50 miler in the morning.

Philip had arranged our lodging in Abingdon. After checking in - laying out some items for the AM, we hit the streets in search of the traditional pasta dinner. This consisted of asking the desk guy at the hotel for a recommendation. We had a fun time there, as Phil and I chatted with the young waitress about Italian food, school, small towns and endurance running, which she was oblivious to of course. She had never been to Damascus, or to Roanoke, and diddnt seem to care to go. She did say she would visit the Mountain Junkies website though, as we told her that we were Mountain Junkies... too funny. We all laughed a lot that evening.

Race Morning...
Up early and off to McDonalds for oatmeal and coffee. Phil and I both agree that McDonalds is essentially the poster child enemy for good nutrition in our country, but they serve a purpose at times. The oatmeal there is quite good, I'm glad he recommended it. A little on the mushy side, but not bad at all. Raisins, nuts and apple pieces round out the serving. I actually think this is a healthy fast food breakfast item I can look forward to having again.

I took some Vitamin I (Ibuprofen), and drank 20 oz of NUUN. Arriving at the race headquarters for check-in with time to spare. All pre-race routines went underway: bathroom, dressing, stretching, bodyglide, iPod, hand held bottle, sweat rag, Gu gel X3...


Pre-race jitters and introductions...
During everyone's pre-race routine, it was a comfortable time for socializing. It was nice to see familiar faces and others whom I had only once met. I'm glad that Anita Finkle was there, I gain so much encouragement from her, and I appreciate all of our talks at work about running and races. I met her husband Jay again. Others whom I had run other races with, mostly from Terrapin were present and I'm excited to see them, as they all suggest good times.


And they are off...
This event is described as a no frills race, with aid station support. I wouldnt call it no frills, but maybe low frills. The minimalist attitude was appreciated. I thought it was interesting that there was no official race clock, other than the RD's watch.


The race began promptly at 7AM, and began with a few miles on the VA Creeper Trail. This fine gravel / cinder path is as wide as a typical sidewalk at times, and crosses over water a few times with nice bridges of iron and wood bridges. The rushing water was refreshing to listen to. This first portion of the run was essentially flat. I had started out too far in front of the group, and was thankful for the wider path on the start, to allow many to pass me before the trail began and it was more difficult to pass one another. We stay on the Creeper Trail for almost the first 5 miles before a turn into the woods. This places us on the Beech Grove Trail as we climb Iron Mountain and then we run along the Iron Mountain ridge line which is part of what used to be the Appalachian Trail before it was relocated. Kinda nostalgic, I think.

According to the elevation profile the next 3 miles (5-8) were to be steep, with the first mile being the worst. Kevin had prepared us for this, and said that after that first mile, the rest might be runnable for some. I was hoping so. As the trail increased in pitch, I slowly began to drop to a hike. After the first mile, it was rolling and I was often able to run. Sometime before mile 8, which should have been the top, I think it got even more steep. Eventually things got more mellow and it was rolling hills for most of the way to the aid station at FS 90.

The leaders...
It was on this stretch that the leaders began to pass me. I knew that Phillip had a really good chance of placing well in this event, so I began to count the runners. There was considerable distance between some of them. Yet when I noted that Philip was in 5th place, I told him I think 4th place wasnt too far ahead. He tells later in his race report that he saw him, but never was able to pass him.

It was here that I got stung by a be. I felt the sting on my right thigh, looked down and saw the yellow jacket. i swept him off hoping there wasnt any more, and worried about those that might be allergic.

Since this was the Old AT we were on, we came upon a shelter, which I took the opportunity to walk behind it and utilize nature's bathroom. I was unsure how close behind me was the next runner, but i soon found out. Once coming from out of behind the shelter I saw other runners coming, so I took off up the hill to keep my position. It seemed that I stayed just ahead of a short string of runners into FS 90 aid station. It was at this aid station that the 16 milers turn around. The rest of the course for the 30 milers and the 50 milers was simply an out and back along the Iron Mountain trail. There was one aid station previous to this, which was only a water stop. It was nice to see Jenn Nichols there, a fellow blogger and one whom I enjoy keeping up with via her blog and watching her achieve new goals.


Dont forget to turn around...
Not wishing to take on 30 miles or more, I headed back the way I came after filling up my water bottle, and throwing in my mouth some Pringles and M&Ms. I had previously thought that I would stay for a while and let my heart rate calm, but the race got the best of me and I knew I was leading a pack that I wanted to stay ahead of. Soon after returning on the trail I was passed by some from that group. The trail was rolling hills and should have been mostly downhill, but as always when getting more tired on a long run the little hills seem so much bigger. From here the single track trail posed a slight difficulty when passing oncoming runners.

There was a long, and seemingly never ending downhill stretch of technical rocky trail. This personally was the most dangerous and technical part of the run. Of course being downhill, I like to try and make up some time from all the hiking up the hills, but with such rocks and unsure footing it lends itself to risking injury. Even so I pressed on and ran it as fast as my legs would allow. I passed a couple of runners on this part and I know I gained on the few that passed me earlier as I eventually passed them again later on too.

I think the downhills are as intimidating as the up hills. I can always walk up a hill, but when going down it takes a different strength to stop and say "I'm going to walk this" I've not found that strength yet, to say I'm going to walk DOWN this section. I hope an injury from such terrain doesnt force me to find it. With that being said, it was on this section that I almost fell. I stumbled and it took about 4 steps of lunging forward unsure of every step until I regained my balance. At other "normal" trail areas I did tweak each ankle once, but sustained no discomfort and carried on quickly. Running on trails will take you through these challenges. 


Back on the Creeper..,.
I had begun to process in my head the mileage that I was covering. I know what 10 miles feels like, and I know what 13 felt like... after that, I've just not run enough to really "know" but I was feeling mile 13... and I was counting. Awaiting the coveted 16th mile, and rest. Needless to say after I got off the trail, I was on a road in town. I knew this was a small town, but I diddnt feel that I was real close to the gazebo where we began. Still I followed the pink streamers with black polka dots, as they were hanging from trees. Eventually I'm on the VA Creeper Trail again. The Creeper seemed much longer on the way back and I felt my calves cramping like I've never felt before. I questioned my hydration and my salt intake.

I'm trying to convince myself that this is the last stretch, or this is the final bridge. I even had to drop to a walk on the simple flat terrain as I was at my max and could no longer push it, but I knew the end was so close. Eventually I figured I had seen the end through the trees and heard some finish line chatter. Philip was resting at a picnic table in the park as he cheered me on to the finish. I was glad to see he finished healthy. I crossed the finish line and declined the Iron Mountain Man Challenge. I soon learned that the course was technically about 16.8 miles. If I were calculating my mileage correctly in those last moments, then I was right about feeling that mile 16 should had been here by now. I felt fully exhausted and that my tank was completely empty at that point. Mission accomplished.

The Iron Mountain Man / Woman Challenge...
I believe this is Kevin's creation. Each finisher has exactly 5 mins from the second they cross the line, to perform as many sit ups, push ups and pull ups in any order to earn points, and win a prize. Of course each year the overall winner of this challenge is someone from the 50 mile field... of course! I had thought I might take that challenge, but at the moment I wanted nothing else but to stop everything from moving all around me.


Post race...
Phil and I recapped the highlights with one another as we took in some fluids and rest. We noticed some heading to the creek for a dip and decided to do likewise. I knew of the post run ice bath thing, but never had the opportunity to really take one. The creek was cold water and I hoped I had the guts to get in. I removed my shoes and socks and eased myself into the water letting my legs soak. It felt good and refreshing to rinse the dirt off my legs. We were joined with Ben from the DC area who is new to trail running and seemed like the kind of guy I like talking to at races, I hope to hear from him again. (BEN, email me or something, if you read this).

Burgers and veggie patties and hot dogs hit the grill, salad veggies, chips, watermelon and ice cream were all available for eating. I made my way to the table which contained all the finishers awards. Each finisher got to chose between a fresh loaf of bread, or local jelly. I chose the fig jam, as it was something special, I could take it home to share with my family and I had a jar to keep afterwards.

It was nice to see the other runners come in. Those finishing the 16, then Brian Pickett coming in to win the 30 mile, about 50 mins ahead of the second place, and first female Holly Baker! Very good run! With anticipation we awaited the winner of the 50 mile, Eric Grossman, close to beating the course record. (CORRECTION: He did beat the course record!) It would have been nice to see him take the course record, as he designed this 50 mile race a few years ago and was RD before Kevin started doing it.

I wanted to stay and be there to see Anita Finkle cross the finish, but Philip and I had to start our drive home. The day was a success and I felt great after some rest. I was starting to think about my next event, the Hinson Lake 24 Hour Ultra Classic. Contemplating how I'd feel after running a good distance, resting, and then running again. I was questioning my hydration methods, my sodium intake, my nutrition. Questioning what I could have done better. I know that during that run and in those last miles, I was truly maxed out.

This event marks a distance never before recorded for me. I believe I am truly pushing the mark, and working toward the next little goal I have for myself and running. Everything was a success. Phil finished 5th overall. He would have been 1st place in the Masters division for the 16-mile, if they awarded for those results, but unfortunately they do not. Still a great accomplishment.

The drive home seemed short, and I returned to a welcoming wife and children, what else could I ask for?

3 comments:

  1. Jamie, what a truly remarkable accomplishment for all you do. And especially at this time when you are welcoming your new daughter into your life. From your description, I almost felt like I was with you. Great work. GA Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! I've biked on the VA Creeper trail from Damascus to Whitetop and back (17 miles up and 17 miles crusing back down), so I know that is quite a hilly area! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did AWESOME! congrats on a great race! IMTR 16 is beastly! It was great to see you running strong at straight branch AS at mile 5! take care and hope to share the trails with you soon! and thanks for the shout out!! :o)

    ReplyDelete